Free driving is a menu in Carmageddon TDR 2000 in which the player can have a free custom race that doesn't count for anything important. The player can choose between a variety of settings, many of which aren't reproducible on regular races.
This mode is available from the moment Carmageddon TDR 2000 is installed. It's the first option on the main menu. Upon clicking it, the player is presented to a screen much like the choose race screen. Here, the player may choose any car and level (but not mission) from a list of the cars/races that have been bought/entered. This means that after the game has been installed, once the player completes a certain race at any time, on any difficulty, on any save slot, that race can be accessed at any time in the free driving mode.
After configuring everything, including the options, the race starts as normal, except that winning or losing won't have any impact on the player's progress.
|To Do: Add info on how the APO amount is decided.|
Care to do so?
The player may chose from a variety of options by clicking the options button. These are the available customizations:
- Timer: Enables or disables the timer.
- Additional traffic: Enables or disables drones.
- Cops active from start: If enabled, the cops will chase the player without him/her having wasted opponents.
- All cars the same as player: If enabled, all the opponents (but not cops) will drive the same car as the player.
- Allow repairs when wasted: If the player is wasted, (s)he may still perform repairs to regain functionality.
- Number of opponents: Sets the number of opponents. Possible values range from 0 to 6.
- Number of cops: Sets the maximum number of cops. Possible values range from 0 to 6.
- Opponent aggression: Sets how aggressive the opponents are. The higher this his, the more they'll beat the player. Possible values range from 0 to 10.
- Cop aggression: Same as opponent aggression, except it's the cops.
- Number of peds: Sets how many pedestrians are on this level. Possible values range from 0 to 300.
- Laps: Sets how many laps must be made before the race is completed. Possible values range from 1 to 40.
- Race time (minutes): If the timer is enabled, this sets how much time the race starts with. Possible values range from 1 to 30.
- Setting only 1 pedestrian will make the flag-woman the only one.
- Killing all pedestrians will not end the race.
- Pressing Escape will quit the race.
- There is a glitch when leaving this mode with the game paused that reverses menu sounds.